Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Father's Son

While you lay
in silent pain
I'll wait and pray
for the strength to retain
all that you said
in the years gone by
as age grips me now
I understand why
you spent the time
on those stories to tell
you taught me well

Rest well, my dear friend
I don't think this is the end
but I'll stay here now
outside your cell
no price on earth
for your soul to sell
you taught me well

The limbs grow weak
but your eyes still burn
with the fire of life
and lessons learned
you never spared
me from your safe gaze
as demons glared
you held their stare
with a fathers love
you did yell
you taught me well

now men are we
both old and true
the table has turned
as I protect you
never shall I let
Them toll the bell
you taught me well

you taught me well

No comments:

Post a Comment